As the week tips over on its midpoint fulcrum, I’m reminded to keep my blog current. To that end, here is the latest chapter in the Séguin Family’s Atlantic Odyssey.

Firstly, I’ve decided to not let myself be bothered by my Flickr Photostream‘s non-editable order anymore. This means I’m going to skip about 5 months’ worth of photo sorting backlog and post some New Brunswick pictures now. This way, my friends and relatives won’t be so cheesed off that all my pictures show up online half a year late. The downside is it kills the meticulous chronological sequence of my Photostream. (At least, I think it does. Please let me know if there’s a way to re-sort the Photostream by file creation date instead of upload date.)

Leo By The Ocean

I’ve been working from home this week, and it takes some adjustment. I’ve been craving quiet time to actually get work done, and now I have gobs of it. It was disconcerting at first, and had me virtually looking for distractions. Putting headphones on with some good music, like I used to do at the office, seems to be the productivity booster I needed. I can get lost in the work on my laptop screen instead of burning with curiosity at what the neighbor’s dog is barking at.

Speaking of the canine species, I must add that Beta is turning out to be a wonderful workplace companion. She doesn’t book me into any meetings or assign me action items. She just lies lazily at my feet and warms my toes.

Yesterday, I spent some time getting some of the post-move administrative tasks done. I handled a few address changes, arranged for local insurance, and figured out the specifics of my car’s lease return. I also paid a visit to the Sackville Service New Brunswick office to get my NB drivers’ license, license plates for Claire’s car, and health cards for the family. Yes, my Ontario friends: you can do it all in one place here.

The last time I had to get a new health card in Toronto, I spent the better part of two hours waiting in crowded room on a weekday I’d taken off. The last time I got a new driver’s license, there was at least a half-hour’s wait, and then it took a few weeks for the wallet card to show up in the mail.

It took less than 30 minutes for me to do all of the above, plus register Claire’s car, and I walked out of there with a bona fide drivers’ license card. There was no lineup, and no wait time. The service wasn’t surly; it was nice.

This pleasant efficiency left me with enough time to begin the search for a vehicle to replace the leased car that’s going back to the dealer later this month. I visited a couple of dealerships and test drove a nice half-ton Silverado LT at one of them. The salesman was an atypically articulate and thoughtful fellow compared to other members of his profession I’ve met. It turns out he’d been doing this for six months, and was an ex-project manager for a big bank, which made for interesting test-drive conversation.

He told me he had a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram diesel at my price point coming, and that he’d call me when he knew its arrival time. Sure enough, today he followed up. I explained that I’m pretty busy these next couple days, with work deadlines looming and that I’d be likely to show fairly late Thursday at the dealership to look at it. This was problematic for his schedule, so we tossed around some other alternative times, none of which were working.

Finally, he said he’d just bring the truck to me.

“You know I’m staying in Sackville, right?” We’re about half an hour’s drive on the highway from his Moncton dealership.

“Yeah, that’s OK,” he replied. “Gives me something to do instead of just sitting around the office all afternoon.”

Now, I’m not saying that this kind of thing wouldn’t happen in Toronto. It’s just never happened to me. Nevertheless, it left me impressed once again at how easy it is to live here.